The GTA In-Studio courses are held at the CBBAG bindery, as well as other locations in Toronto. The CBBAG bindery is located at 80 Ward Street, Suite 207, Toronto (near Landsdowne and Dupont streets). Other course locations' addresses can be found with the course descriptions or will be provided upon registration.
GTA Winter + Spring 2017 Courses & Workshops
Are Now Online (with a few more to come!)
Click on the "GTA Workshops & Events" link to the left for the list of workshop/course descriptions – as well as other events and lectures – and to register online.
See "General Information" below for other registration and payment options.
In addition to its In-Studio courses, CBBAG has a Home Study Programme
. Click here for information on the Home Study Programme
CBBAG Chapter Workshops:
To find out what your local chapter is offering as workshops, please visit the Regional Chapters
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS:
- One-day courses are generally open to both members and non-members alike for the same price. Most other courses have a members' and non-members' price. The non-member price includes a one-year CBBAG membership.
If you plan to take a GTA workshop which has both a members' and non-members' price and you are not a CBBAG member, please do not join CBBAG first as there will be a delay in "approving" your membership and you will not be able to register at the members' price immediately after joining CBBAG. Please register for the workshop at the non-member price and your membership will be processed from your workshop registration (this may take a week or so).
REGISTRATION for GTA workshops:
To register by mail, please include full details of the course(s) you wish to register for, your full contact information, and either your Visa or MasterCard credit card number and expiry date or a cheque payable to "CBBAG." Mail your registration to CBBAG Workshops, 80 Ward Street, Suite 207, Toronto ON M6H 4A6.
Cheques may be post-dated up to one week before commencement of the course.
Registrations are not accepted after 12 noon on the Thursday before the commencement of a workshop, as the CBBAG workshop registrar is only in the CBBAG office once a week, generally on Thursdays.
Acceptance to workshops is assigned on a chronological basis.
Acknowledgement of registration will be sent by e-mail; if you have not received your acceptance one week prior to the start of the workshop, please inform the Workshop Registrar at email@example.com
or phone 416-581-1071416-581-1071
Receipts are available upon request. Please e-mail the CBBAG office at firstname.lastname@example.org
to request a receipt.
CBBAG is pleased to discuss organizing additional workshops; please contact the office at email@example.com
Any allergies or other environmental sensitivities should be mentioned when applying.
The CBBAG bindery is on the second floor of 80 Ward Street. There is no elevator in the building and therefore the bindery is only accessible by walking up a set of stairs. Other GTA workshop venues may also require the use of stairs to access them.
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS:
Cancellations, subject to a 10% cancellation fee (a minimum of $5), will be accepted until two weeks prior to the workshop; thereafter the full fee will be forfeited.
CBBAG reserves the right to cancel workshops one to two weeks prior to their commencement date due to insufficient enrollment; workshop fees for cancelled workshops will be fully refunded.
Membership fees (and the membership fee portion of the non-member fee) are not refundable.
OF SPECIAL NOTE:
- Workshops are limited to eight participants (some exceptions apply), and generally run from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. (full details available with the course descriptions).
- Participants are responsible for arriving on time at the correct location; call the CBBAG office if directions are needed.
- Materials fees are paid to the instructor at the beginning of a workshop.
- Tools and materials are supplied at the workshop, unless otherwise noted; participants may also bring their own hand tools if they wish.
- Participants should plan to bring a picnic lunch.
- Due to the intensive nature of CBBAG workshops, it is not possible to make up missed days; fees cannot be refunded.
- CBBAG instructors have the right to dismiss disruptive students; fees will not be refunded under these circumstances.
- Photography is permitted only for personal use; otherwise, permission must be obtained in writing from CBBAG.
- Click here for some suggestions of possible accommodations for out of town students.
- CBBAG gives a "certificate of completion" on completion of all six of the core courses whether taken In-Studio or a combination of In-Studio and Monitoring Stream Home Study. The six are Bookbinding I, II, and III, Restoration & Repair, Finishing, and Paper Treatments for Binders. Note that only Bookbinding I, II and III are available through the Monitoring Stream of the Home Study Programme; therefore, in order to qualify for a Certificate of Completion, one must complete Finishing, Restoration & Repair, and Paper Treatments for Binders in-studio. The Certificate of Completion is not formal accreditation. However, CBBAG has had students who were already working in conservation jobs who started back at the beginning with CBBAG, completed the six courses, and were extremely pleased with the mass of material they had learned and found it extremely useful in their work.